Wednesday 13 April 2016

QUOTE OF THE DAY: April 13, 2016 (Feat. A Personal Dedication)

Today's Quote of the Day is a special one. It comes to us from Austrian Classical-Romantic composer Franz Schubert. 

The quote I have selected for this post is not altogether uplifting in nature as so many of my quotes have been, but rather contemplative in tone.

I don't know of any person, man or woman, who has not at varied times felt the very same sentiment as once expressed by the late master of the Lied.

"No one feels another's grief, no one understands another's joy.

People imagine they can reach one another.

In reality they only pass each other by."

-Franz Schubert 

Today I am, for the first time on Unraveling Musical Myths dedicating the quote above (including the video below) to someone very near to my heart, and never far from my thoughts. 

For you, my long lost friend, it is with such shame and regret that we have fallen into the latter verse, and although we may have danced around the first two, it is my unhindered belief that when it came to the understanding of one another - no two friends could have better performed the task than the both of us united.

Know that you are in my thoughts, and in my heart even still..

For you, and for the reader, enjoy below the exquisite "Nacht und Träume" (Night & Dreams)
by Franz Schubert (D. 827) as sung by American soprano
Renée Fleming under the baton of recently deceased maestro Claudio Abbado:

Explore the full splendor of the piece by viewing the dolefully longing lyrics (in original German and in personally translated English) to this sublimely beautiful Lied below:


Lyrics (Deutsch): PUBLIC DOMAIN
Lyrics: English (Translation) ARTISTIC TRANSLATION BY ROSE:
 
Heil'ge Nacht, du sinkest nieder 
Nieder wallen auch die Träume 
 
Wie dein Mondlicht durch die Räume: 
Lieblich durch der Menschen stille Brust
 
Die belauschen sie mit Lust; 
Rufen, wenn der Tag erwacht: 
 
“Kehre wieder, heil'ge Nacht!
Holde Träume, kehret wieder!”


-Text by the late 18th to early 19th century poet Matthäus Casimir von Collin

Holy night, you are sinking,
Dreams, too, submerging, down -

Like moonlight through space:
Resting sweetly in the tranquil hearts of men

who indulge in their dreams with delight and enchantment,
Only to mourn the emergence of dawn, loudly lamenting:
“Return, O Holy Night!
Dearest Dreams Return!”

-'Artistic Translation' by Rose, author of unravelingmusicalmyths.blogspot.ca 

Miscellaneous commentary:
I have a further dedication on my page "Inspire."  My inaugural posting of dedications was to my 姨母, in honor of her life, legacy and the teaching tools she left behind for the current and forthcoming generations to be "inspired"

There exist so many touching pieces of music that correspond to the feelings one holds for another he or she loves. It was these two pieces that I chose to dedicate to two very such objects of my affections.
LINK (Internal): INSPIRE
I, like many greater minds who have existed before me, agree that whilst melody itself is a close first for creating impacting, profound music - it is the text, the libretti, the poem - when combined with a substantially emotive music (capable of corresponding with any given lyrical sentiment provided to them by a solid librettist), that place both artforms as being equally substantial to the open hearted listener. Whilst one art form can - and often does - achieve emphatic impact without the assistance of the other, it is when two divinely crafted works created by masters of linguistics and music intertwine that the listener truly experiences an inner transit into another atmosphere of love, angst, anguish, pain and delight.

I felt Schubert's "Nacht und Träume" a perfect fit for today's unnamed object of dedication, and could envision no greater theme than The Lark Ascending, based on the poem by George Meredith and as orchestrated by Ralph Vaughan Williams for my brilliant and beloved 姨母. .
-Rose.